Well its that time of the year again, the time when we celebrate the fiest of St Peter , Festa San Pedro here in the Portuguese Settlement. Its another time when families would gather together back home and of course there’ll be lots of FOOD!! Whether it is from the stalls or home!! Here’s one dish that every one would crave for if you plan to get your hands on it from any stalls, you have to be quick!
- 1kg sea snails/ siput sedut/balitung
- 1 cup dried chilli ( soaked in warm water)
- 3 medium red onions
- 2 nos lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 semi-ripe papaya
- 250 g coconut milk
- Oil for frying
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Wash and clean the “siput” in running water till the water is clear and free from mud.
- Use a cleaver and cut off the ends of the snails.
- Blend the dried chilli, onions, and lemongrass to make a paste.
- Fry the paste in oil on meduim heat for 10 to 15 minutes to release the aromas from the ingredients.
- Add the “siput” and mix well.
- Add in the ground tumeric and coriander.
- Next, add in the coconut milk, papaya’s and water and let it simmer till the papaya’s are soft enough.
- Check seasonings and add if necessary.