Dragonfruits! Not only that its rich in antioxidants, high in potassium and vitamin C, it is also a delicious fruit to eat by itself. With its sweet taste, dragonfruits could be used to make dressings for salads, jams and also be used as dye for cakes. I’ve been eating dragonfruits all my life but never have I done anything with them. So I decided to try make a cake with it and it turned out as a yummy cake.
For the vanilla cake
- 7 tablespoon cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoon soften unsalted butter
- A pinch of salt
- 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon milk
For the vanilla whipped cream frosting
- 1 small box heavy cream
- 1 cup sifted sugar
- 1 vanilla pot
For the dragonfruit pastry cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup dragonfruit puree
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- A pinch of salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Grease and line the bottom of a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In another bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar, then ass in the egg, oil and vanilla.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients until fully combined then add the milk.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 15 – 18 minutes.
- Let it cool before cutting into three portions.
For the frosting
- Using a chilled bowl, beat the cream until frothy.
- Gradually add in the icing sugar and vanilla while beating the cream.
- Whip until it is light and thick enough to spread as an icing.
For the pastry cream
- Warm the milk and dragonfruit puree in a pot. ( It should not be boiling)
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, flour and salt till fully combined.
- Slowly add in a little of the warm milk into the yolk mixture while continuing whisking. Keep on adding till all the milk is in the bowl.
- Pour back the mixture in the pan on a medium heat and whisk till it thickens to the right consistency being careful not to burn it.
- Add in the vanilla and strain the pastry cream over a bowl.
- Cover the pastry cream with a piece of plastic wrap and press onto the surface of the pastry cream to prevent a layer of skin to form.
- Let it chill till you are ready to assemble the cake.
- Cut the cake into three layers.
- Brush each layers with some dragonfruit puree.
- Start layering by adding the pastry cream in the middle then add another layer of the cake.Keep repeating till the third layer is done.
- Cover your cake with the vanilla cream frosting and let it chill in the refrigerator.
- To make the ” dragonfruit splatter” effect, bloom one teaspoon of gelatin in warm water and add to 100 ml of dragonfruit puree. ( optional)
- Once thick enough, drizzel over the cake for a nice effect.