This is a sauce that everyone should know how to make as it is one of the most known sauces which is also very versatile as it could be used in many different ways like for ice cream toppings, drizzle on french toast or waffles, use a dip for fruits, make honeycombs and you could even make a delicious cup of caramel coffee! There are no boundaries when it comes to caramel. The best part is it only consist of three main ingredients, sugar, water, and cream. So there’s no excuse for not trying to make your own caramel sauce at home.
Makes: 1 1/3 cups
- 115g water
- 240g sugar
- 225g heavy cream
- A pinch of salt
- 1 vanilla pot ( optional)
- In a pot, combine water, sugar, and salt over medium heat.
- Let it come to a boil for about 4 minutes then let it simmer till the syrup turns honey-coloured.
- Ensure that you keep shaking and swirling the pot to ensure even caramelization.
- Continue cooking till the syrup turns into a light amber colour.
- Add in the heavy cream and stir constantly with a heat resistant spatula.
- Add in the vanilla pot and mix well.
- Transfer to a heat resistant container and cool to room temperature.
- The caramel will become thicker as it cools down and could be stored for up to a month in an air tight container.