I just couldn’t sit still, always looking for something to do but don’t want to spend much so decided to make a tarte tartin using some apples in the fridge, butter, sugar, cinnamon and some leftover puff pastry! Here’s a french classic which is simple, delicious and doesnt cost much which would ” WOW” your friends and family!!
Serves: 8 slices
- 6 granny smith apples
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 200g brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon cinnamon powder
- 60g unsalted butter, cube
- 1 sheet ready made puff pastry/ 250g homemade puff pastry
- Thick cream or ice cream to serve
- Peel and core the apples and slice to quarters.
- Place in a large bowl and toss with lemon juice, cinnamon powder and 100g of sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees
- Place the remaining sugar and two tablespoons of water in an ovenproof pan over low heat till sugar starts to caramelize.
- Add the apples, cut-side up and add the butter.
- Cover the apples with puff pastry, tucking the excess underneath.
- Keeping the heat low, continue cooking for about 6 minutes till the apples are partially cooked.
- Place the pan in the oven on a baking tray, and bake for about 30 minutes till the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let to rest for 10 minutes before carefully turning the tart on large plate.
- Serve with cream or ice cream.