Finally back home in Malacca, and was sitting outside enjoying the evening breeze and watching the birds flying in the sky. But I thought that a cup of tea would be nice but it would be better if there was something to munch on that beautiful evening. Since there was many cheese so I thought, why not a Cheese ball? It took a little of my time but it was definately worth it. So here’s the recipe for a simply yet delicious cheesy potato and leek ball which is easy to make!
- 5 cubes Cheddar cheese
- 80 grams Sauteed leeks
- Black pepper
- 3 nos potatoes (diced)
- 3 slices Bread
- 50 grams diced leeks
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 11/2 cups Breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 3 tablespoon milk
Servings: makes 5 balls
Total time: 45 minutes
For the cheese
- Dice the cheddar cheese into the desired size. And season with salt and pepper. You could also grate the cheese and add mozzarella to the mixture to obtain the stringry consistency.
For the potatoes
- Peel the potatoes and bring them to a boil in a pot of water.
- Soak the bread slices in milk thn squeeze of excess milk and set the bread aside
- In a pan, sweat the diced leeks in butter till translucent and set aside.
- Once potatoes are soft enough, drain the water away and add the milk, salt, pepper and sauteed leeks to the pot. (You could add some bacon to this mixture for extra flavour)
- Mix the mixture till it forms a smooth consistency( almost like a mash)
- Add in the bread that was soaked in milk earlier and mix till combined equally
- Place this mixture in the refrigerator to rest for 10 minutes
- Shape the “potato dough” mixture into balls of desired size
- Flatten the dough and put the cheese and more leeks in the middle
- Carefully fold the potato to conseal the cheese and leeks
- Shape into balls and cover with breadcrumbs
- Leave to rest in the refrigerator for another 10 minutes
- Shallow fry the cheese balls in a pot of oil at medium heat until gold brown